Friday, February 4, 2011

Let's Move Miami!

I have to admit that I am a bit of a cheerleader.  It's next to impossible for me to run without saying hello to the people I pass and/or to chat with the people I'm running with.  I never run with an ipod because I feel like it interferes with me enjoying the experience of the run. 

It's always difficult for me to maintain my workout routine when traveling.  I love to run in a new city and experience the different sights, but most of the time it means I have to run alone.  I'm not good at running alone.  I get bored.  Maybe I should try an ipod for those times, but I haven't been able to make myself do that. 

So this morning's run was a test of my dedication.  Yesterday I decided to sleep in and did not run or workout.  I did some stretching and some small exercises but nothing like I would have done if I was home.  This morning I got up and was excited to get my run started.  Across the street from my hotel is a small lake with a path around it. 

I hit the path at about 5:45.  I didn't see anyone immediately but as I turned the first corner I realized that there were several people walking.  As I passed each one, I said a cheery "Good Morning!"  At first they didn't know what to make of me.  Most were so surprised that someone actually talked to them that by the time they decided to respond I was almost too far past to hear them.  It was just under a half mile around the lake and the path was very well lit.  There were several groups of ducks...all sizes and colors.  I had to avoid some of their "droppings" at a few places!

So by the time I was on my second lap, I was passing the same people again.  Not wanting to be rude, I couldn't say "Good Morning" again so I said "Great Job!"  Every single one of them said "oh thank you" in a very surprised tone.  Does no one tell these people that getting up early in the morning and walking around a lake was a great thing?  Well that made me determined to make a difference in these people's day.  On my third lap I realized that the path was getting more crowded.  I greeted the newcomers with my standard "Good Morning" or "Great Job".  When I passed the original walkers, I said "Keep on going!  You are doing great!"  One man actually said "You're the one doing great!"  I laughed and kept on going.  Energy is contagious!  That man made my day and I was trying to make his!   

I absolutely LOVE congratulating people for taking steps to better their lives.  These people were not thin, athletic people.  They were overweight, some were older, some were younger.  But they were MOVING!  They were WALKING!  They were bettering themselves!  I love that.  I can't wait to get up tomorrow and see my new "friends" again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment