Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Rest Days?

Many of you who read this are runners and understand the importance of rest days.  I really do understand why rest is an important factor in training...I just don't always like it.  My work day is completely thrown off on Tuesdays since that's my "rest" day.  I have an early meeting in the office every Tuesday so there is not enough time for me to make it to the gym, shower and get to work in time for the meeting.  That's why I have selected Tuesdays as my rest day. 

Invariably I am rushing out the door late for the meeting on Tuesdays.  Now if I got out of bed at the regular time I normally do when I go to the gym every other day, I wouldn't have to rush.  I would actually have tons of time to get ready, eat a leisurely breakfast and get to the meeting.  But I try to fit in an extra bit of sleep.  After all, it is a rest day, right?  Shouldn't that mean I get to rest??? 

I think that resting your muscles is an extremely important part of any training program.  I highly recommend to all my friends that they take a rest day and actually nag them when they don't have enough rest in their workout schedules.  I know there is value in it, I just really can't seem to figure out how to stay on schedule when I'm resting!  I suppose I'm the type of person who needs a routine.  Without my routine of getting up before dawn and going to the gym, I'm hopelessly behind schedule.  Maybe next week I'll make it to the meeting on time.

Wishing everyone a restful Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment